Page updated Sept2022
Dosbarth Heulfre – Mrs Bethan Villalon (Miss Amy Roberts on Wednesdays)
Dosbarth Gloddaeth – Mrs Merian Hughes
ALN Intervention – Mrs Pat Davies
PPA – Mrs Louise Davis-Owen
Welcome to our Year 5 page.
PE Kit Arrangements – please can pupils come to school in their full PE kits on their PE days as follows–
Year 5 Heulfre (Mrs Bethan Villalon) and Year 5 Gloddaeth (Mrs Merian Hughes) – Mondays and Wednesdays
The pupils will access their on-line teaching and learning resources provided by the Welsh Government through HWB. They have all received their HWB address. This site offers access to a wide range of digital tools and materials. Through their HWB account the children can access their Google Classroom, they can download Office 365 and Minecraft for Education is free.
This year, we will be studying –
|Languages, Literacy and Communication.|
· In speaking and listening, we will participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play/improvisations and debates.
· Also, we will be learning to effectively use the features of various non fiction texts.
· The pupils all have a creative writing book to build on their imagination and personal style.
· We will continue to build on our skills of writing a discussion of events in a story.
· We will learn to write persuasively after using drama to imagine viewpoints of characters.
· This term we will refine our writing skills using the following sequence:
· Draft and Edit.
We teach the elements of the Welsh Curriculum and the Areas of Learning through real life situations and problem solving investigations. This term, our subject learning will focus on:
- Place Value, more than , less than,
- Number names, ordering
- Addition and subtraction.
- Times tables, multiplication rules for x10, x100
Science and Technology. Our topic this term is Water
We will be investigating water around us and its importance in all aspects of life. We will be concentrating on the Water Cycle- evaporation, condensation and precipitation.The work will involve looking at Climate Change and Natural Disasters. We will be working closely with Dwr Cymru and hopefully visiting Lake Brenig. Investigations will include mixing and separating materials, as well as ‘Clean Water Science’.
Cymraeg– Weekly spelling patterns will be built on. Also we will be focusing on the Legends of Wales such as Cantre’r Gwaelod/ Llys Helig and Barti Ddu.
We will be developing our knowledge and skills using a range of programmes to research and present information across the curriculum.
Mangahigh, TT Rockstars and Purple Mash will also be used on a regular basis. Internet safety will also be a key feature of these lessons.
Our work this term will focus on the work of Water aid, the Dolgarrog Dam disaster and Tryweryn.
We will also follow the journey of the Conwy River from the source to the Sea, recognising the dangers by rivers and local flooding.
We will also be using maps and atlases to locate major oceans, seas and rivers in the world, looking at the impact of rising sea levels.
We will learn how to improve our art and design techniques, including drawing and painting inspired by the work of Monet and local Welsh artists.
We will listen to a range of music genres from different sources and styles.
RE –This term we will focus on Christianity
- We will be finding out more about the role Water plays in the Bible. We will also be celebrating Harvest Thanksgiving and Christmas this term.
Health and Well being.
Please ensure your child wears a full PE kit to come to school (including warm layers for Winter!) every Monday and Wednesday.
We encourage the children to run or walk a mile every day.
We will focus on the importance of water in our daily lives- for drinking and keeping clean.
Year 5 will receive spellings per week. Homework is set on Monday and due in the following Friday.
- Reading – We encourage daily sharing of a range of texts including: stories, magazines, comics. Try to include a mixture of you reading to your child as well as your child reading to you. Please record at least 3 entries in the Home Reading records per week. These should be returned every day.
- Spelling – Over the year, our aim is for all children to confidently spell the age-related spellings as outlined by the National Curriculum. These will be in your child‘s homework book for them to practise at home using the Look Say Cover Write Check strategies, a literacy focus worksheet will also be given.
- Times tables – We encourage daily practice for 5 minutes to develop quick multiplication and division skills. Children may be given a speedmaths sheet or multiplication practise sheets to support this at home and has a number of strategies to practise quick recall (e.g. card and dice games).
- Research/Project work based on the class topic is also encouraged. This could be set out as model, a factfile, a poster or a .presentation. Further information will be forwarded to you during the term.
Dinner Money Payment
The school meals, cooked and served in the School Canteen, follow our healthy eating food project guidelines. The present cost is £2.85 per day for Juniors.
All parents will receive Parent Pay details so that payment can be made on-line.