Blwyddyn 5 / Year 5 (page updated January 2018)
Dosbarth Heulfre: Taught by Mrs Bethan Villalon
Dosbarth Gloddaeth: Taught by Mrs Mari Hughes
Croeso / Welcome
Welcome/Croeso to the Year 5 page.
Autumn Term Theme
This term we will be studying –
- Water Aid (we will be raising money for charity with a cake sale) – a link to a letter of thanks from Water Aid can be found here – WaterAid letter of thanks
- Rivers (World, Wales etc)
- Visit to Llyn Brenig
- Map Work
- Story Writing (message in a bottle)
- Branwen (Welsh story)
- Science – water cycle, insulation, dissolving sugar in water, water usage
- BOBS – pupils will continue to have the opportunity to take part in these sessions. They create healthy meals in the school kitchen and provide taster pots for other pupils to try!
Spring Term Theme
Our topic will be based on The Victorians and Forces for our science work. This will involve-
- Studying Children during the Victorian era: work, school, home life.
- Visit to Llanberis Slate Museum/Penrhyn Castle to experience Victorian life.
- Study class novel Street Child by Berlie Doherty.
- Drama ‘The little Match Girl’
- Charles Dickens – Oliver.
- Techniquest trip – Forces workshop
- Science: Forces. What are forces?
- Children may also have the opportunity to take part in Bike It training – please remember to complete and return the Consent forms (and remember bikes and helmets on the day!)
We have many exciting lessons and trips planned for Year 5, which will enhance the learning experience of the children whilst we delve into this topic.
This term we will be studying:
- Entertainment (Theatre, puppets, Punch & Judy and Llandudno)
- Puppet Workshop
- St. Lucia / Maldives
- The Body (eating healthily)
- School trip – last year we visited Tree Tops in Betws y Coed
- Swimming Lessons in May. More information to follow.
Spelling and Maths:
- The spelling list is given out on Mondays
- Maths homework should be completed on Mangahigh.com
Children must read and record their reading with an adult at least four times a week. Reading Records and Daily Diary should be in school every day along with reading books.
Spelling and Maths test on Friday
Games with Mrs Owen on Wednesday
Heulfre class: Dance/Gymnastics with Mrs Villalon on Thursday
Gloddaeth class: Dance/Gymnastics with Mrs Hughes on Friday
Junior pupils are expected to be responsible for their own fruit money (£1 a week or 20p per day) there is no need for them to give fruit money to the teachers.