Updated September 2023
The school meals, cooked and served in the School Canteen, follow our healthy eating food project guidelines. From September 2023, school meals will be free for all pupils that attend school full time.
Meal checker – You can check which meals are available which days by clicking on the link below –
A copy of the Menu is e-mailed to parents/carers during September.
The menu from November 2023 can be found below –
If you are on a low income, it is important for you to still make an application for Free School Meals for your children regardless of the universal provision because the Free School Meal Benefit eligibility makes other benefits available to you. You can apply online via the Conwy County Borough Council website (type if Free School Meals).
Pupils may bring their own sandwiches to school but parents/carers are asked to follow the school’s healthy eating policy, as what the children eat may affect their concentration, behaviour and learning potential during the afternoon. All drinks must be in a leak proof plastic container. Hot drinks/food are not allowed.
We do have some children and staff with a nut allergy and therefore do not permit any foods that contain nuts to be brought into school. May we also ask that you cut foods such as grapes lengthways to minimise any risk. We appreciate your co-operation with this.
Junior Fruit Club
During the last Academic year, the School Council carried out some research to see if the Junior pupils in our school would be interested in a fruit club – the result has been an resounding yes!
We have therefore set up the following system –
- A selection of whole pieces of fruit will be available Monday to Friday.
- Parents/carers can pay in advance per term for fruit via Parent Pay.
- The fruit will be distributed each morning by members of the School Council for each class – one basket per class. The School Councillors will have lists of the pupils that have paid for fruit.
- If your child is absent for any reason, they will receive additional fruit when they return to school.
- The School Council really enjoy taking part in this project – thank you for your support!
Healthy Food Products
Ysgol Craig y Don is a healthy school and we run initiatives that raise children’s awareness of the nutritional value of food.